Friday, November 23, 2012

Workspace of a madman, erm, madwoman

Greetings all,

I hope everyone has had a great week, and I hope my fellow Americans have had a great Thanksgiving.

For today's post, I thought it would be fun to share some pictures of my every day work life and how I've customized it.

Customized Keyboard:

White wax pencil doodles- they come off easily with lighter fluid. Also, I have the best pen ever, courtesy of my coworker J.

 I have since added a few more bats and swirls. Wax pencils, which are like giant white crayons used in opthalmic settings, both for marking lenses in the lab and for marking work trays in the clinic, absolutely rock. I've learned since working at this clinic, there is virtually nothing that cannot be removed by lighter fluid- permanent marker, sticky substance left behind by tape/stickers, hard-to-remove stains, and of course, wax pencil markings are nothing for a tissue and a few dabs of lighter fluid.

For those of you wondering, these are 'work trays.' We put the frame you pick out and your order information in these and put your last name on the outside. At my clinic we use mostly blue, however, low vision orders are placed in either green or yellow trays.


Motivational e-Cards and Insurance Cheat Sheets:


E-cards are a fantastic way to customize any workspace. I added a few doodles to "My flamboyant attire picks up where my parents left off," though I think "I'm glad you recognize how terrible your life would be without me" was perfect just as it was. I also keep cheat sheets all over the wall around my computer. At our clinic we deal with several insurances and helping hand programs- it's hard to keep them straight, especially because each changes so frequently. It's nice to have little reminders. You'll also notice a list of V-Codes. These are important because if items are not properly labeled when we submit the claim to a patient's insurance, we will not get paid. Yikes!

I also really like kitties, so I added a few glasses-related Cheezburger cats.

Recently I added another meme to my wall, just to keep my spirits up when the day is dragging along.

I catch myself glancing at this about 5 times a day.

My other awesome pen, courtesy of one of our larger insurance affiliates.

Oh yes- and here is me, at work, wearing my lovely eyeball hair bows from Th1rte3n's Closet. =)



This is all I have of my personal work setting.. for now. I wonder if anyone would perhaps be interested if I made videos of how each of the machines that I use work? Sure, I could link you to some youtube videos, but where's the fun in that?






Until next time, my near and far-sighted (and inbetween) lovelies,

Sea, the Gothic Optician, A.B.O.C.

P.S.
I just had to show off my first Thanksgiving setting. Isn't it marvelously spooky? ^.^



No comments:

Post a Comment